Well – we finally got the Social Security Disability forms filled out. This was a very hard thing to do. To tell yourself that you will never get better and you will never be able to work again is not a good thing. Below is Lori’s “final thought” that she put on her application. There really isn't much more that I can say . . .
I have been fighting my disease for many years now. My condition has steadily worsened, especially in the past two to three years. Many family members and friends have been telling me for quite some time that I should apply for disability, yet I did not. At the age of 45 I could not envision myself not working ever again. Unfortunately I have resigned myself that this is going to be the case. I simply do not have the strength to get through a normal day.
In addition to not working my home life had to change as well. I can no longer clean my own house. I have trouble just taking a shower. We have a two-story house and I find it increasingly hard to get up and down the stairs. Some days I can't do it at all. If I am planning on cooking a meal I have to sleep for an hour or two just to be able to stand in the kitchen and cook for a half hour. Most days when I plan on cooking I get too weak and either my husband cooks or we get take out. I can’t go shopping without help. Occasionally I do go to the drug store or to the bank by myself, but that's about it. I used to go shopping for the day and go from store to store. Now, my husband has to drive me, I have to use an electric cart, and even with that I might last 2 hours without really feeling sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment