Wednesday, February 23, 2005

WOW - What a month part I

Sorry it has been so long since I posted. It has been quite a month.

We went to Atlanta on the 31st for Lori’s 1st chemotherapy treatment. Lori did not have to stay in the hospital for three days like we thought. Instead it was a “23 hour stay” (she was there for about 30 hours).

The treatment goes like this:
6 hours of saline drip to hydrate Lori. After about four hours they add some prednisone to the IV for about an hour. A shot of Benadryl is then given to her. Around 6 to 7 hours after the start of all of this they bring in the chemo medicine. It is in a normal looking IV bag . . . except for all of the radioactive warnings and special handling instructions. The nurse hooks it to the IV and sets the IV machine to administer it over 1hr. She came in to check on Lori about every 5 minutes. After the treatment she give Lori lasix. This is followed by another 6 hours of saline drip and some more lasix. Then – its done.

Lori was pretty nervous while waiting for the treatment. We really didn’t know what to expect. The chemo was administered about 8:00 Monday night. She seemed to take it fairly well – except for the fact that she turned a weird color after about 45 minutes. Then the lasix kept her up going to the bathroom for the next few hours.

Tuesday morning I was all excited. As far as I knew when I left the night before Lori had gotten through pretty good. We planned on driving a couple of hours and getting a room for the night. Everything changed as soon as I opened the door to her room. She looked TERRIBLE. She had a killer migraine and had a sour stomach. They gave her some meds for both before I had gotten there. We weren’t leaving anytime soon.

After a few hours of Lori trying to pretend she was feeling well enough to leave they discharged her. We got in the car and headed home. It took about 20 minutes for her to start throwing-up in the car. Fortunately she was prepared with bucket in hand. After about a half hour of this she fell asleep. I woke her up at Macon to see if she wanted to find a room or keep sleeping while I kept driving. She chose the room.

We got her settled in at the Hampton and I left to get a prescription for naseu medicine filled. When I came back she looked a bit better. Just sleeping in the bed was helping. She started feeling better around 8:00 that night.

The next morning she felt better. After a few stops we made it home OK.
We decided that next time we will stay in Atlanta for one more day. This way all we have to do is to go from the hospital to the hotel.rry it has been so long since I posted. It has been quite a month.

No comments: